Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Chicken Avocado Wrap & Modified Cafe Rio Black Beans

My Recipe Collection is made up of dinners from my kitchen. I am a minimalist chef; I have limited kitchen supplies and shop for basically the same things each week. That means our meals are simple, cheap, and use only what you have in the pantry or fridge. Where the kitchen is not my own and the food is outrageously pricey, this is how we live in the Caribbean!

Makes 8 Wraps
Ingredients:
  • 8 Homemade Tortillas 
  • 1 Large Avocado
  • 1/4 Cup Salsa
  • 2 Chicken Breasts, cooked and shredded
Directions:
  1. Cut avocado into cubes. Divide avocado cubes evenly onto tortillas. Smash avocado leaving large chunks.
  2. Pour salsa over avocado to your liking.
  3. Layer with chicken
  4. Roll tortilla into a wrap and enjoy!
Tips:
  • My favorite tortilla recipe is Best Ever Homemade Flour Tortillas.  I make a batch or two and refrigerate or freeze what I don't use so it makes for fast and easy dinners later. They are still yummy if warmed in the microwave though they are best fresh. 
  • The avocados that I use here in the Caribbean are HUGE! You may need 2 avocados to equal one the size that I use. 
  • Chicken makes for a good roll over ingredient. I like cooking enough chicken to have leftovers so I don't have to defrost day after day. It also makes for fast meals later. 
  • You can cook your chicken however you prefer. For convenience sake, and because I have a limited kitchen, I usually heat them on the stove in a pan with a little water. Slow cooked chicken would also work deliciously well. 


Serves 2
Ingredients:
  • 8 ounces black beans 
  • 8 ounces corn
  • 1 large tomato, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp. cumin or cumin seeds
  • salt to taste
  • 1/8 cup cilantro
Directions:
  1. Spray a skillet with pan spray or use Butter Spray and brown the garlic and cumin seeds. 
  2. Add the diced tomato and stew. 
  3. After about 5 minutes, add the corn, black beans, and salt
  4. Stir in chopped cilantro prior to serving
Tips:
  • Buying canned beans is too expensive, so I opt for dried beans. Because it takes forever to cook dry beans, I make two packages at once and freeze them in ziplock baggies until I am ready to use them in my meals. 
  • When making this side dish, I used frozen beans and frozen corn. It works to use canned or frozen.
  • The original recipe that this was modified from called for tomato juice. Again, I only had fresh tomatoes. When cooking with a fresh tomato, make sure to dice into small pieces to utilize as much juice as possible. 
  • I made this dish without cilantro because I didn't have any in my fridge. It tasted just fine without it, but needed more salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment