Sunday, October 4, 2015

Conference Weekend




I had the coolest thing happen with Conference yesterday. We have been told that our prayers can be answered as we listen to the prophets and leaders. And so, in preparing for Conference, I had a few questions in mind that I want answered. Friday night, I mentioned those questions in my bedtime prayers. Some were general, but one question in particular was pretty specific. You see, this week, my friend Jackie is starting a Bible study on the book of Daniel. I was invited to attend, and am excited to participate and share the little bit of knowledge that I have. This week, I read the entire book of Daniel to prelude the discussions, which brings me to my prayer. I began praying that I would be able to better understand the scriptures and then felt that I could challenge God even more- if I dare say so. I asked that the stories of Daniel specifically would be explained to me. This is where I consider a miracle to have happened. Out of all the scriptures and 15 million people watching Conference with questions of their own, my prayers were answered directly by President Uchtdorf in the Priesthood session. (It's a good thing I watched it with Austin.)

And so I believe that God answers prayers and keeps His promises as does he speak through His servants. We love Conference. 

In the middle of Conferece sessions, I watched a few clips of Grandma Jack speaking at the pulpit and in Nauvoo. There's no question where Gregory and Bryce got their stage presence from. Such poise and dignity are attributes I hope to develop one day. 

It's a good thing we have mom and dad to tell us about the news and the hurricanes in the world. We had no idea until I talked to dad this week. It has been H-O-T! this week with an exception of Saturday, which was rather cool and windy in comparison. It was a fun surprise to be able to hear the ocean from our backyard while doing laundry- most likely because the hurricane has caused choppy, rough water. Before moving here, I thought we would be able to hear the ocean from our windows, but it's a rare treat. 

Eden and I have gone apartment browsing a bit this week. It's more for fun than in all seriousness, but we would consider moving if we something comes along. So far, it has proven that we are SO very blessed to be where we are. It has been another answer to prayer to be here, especially after seeing so many other places. Multiple times, I was praying that we would even make it home- the last apartment we viewed was, unbeknownst to me, half way across the island and at the tippy top of a hill. We met the realtor at a roundabout and followed her there. She took us over curbs, through construction, up a hill, up another hill, and yet up another! I cannot accurately describe just how steep the roads are. Just imagine a 70% grade hill to another 70% grade hill. I was 3-wheeling just to take a right turn. With a quarter of a tank of gas, the hill was so steep that my gas light came on! The good news was that I had a "half tank" of gas on the way down :). Now you can see why I was praying the entire way there. It really was a miracle we made it, let alone got home safely and without our brakes giving out on us. 

Eden and I made it to the pool once or twice this week, and I have successfully written our primary program for next month. I'm quite happy with how it turned out and am more excited now that I have an input. 

Austin has his first set of block exams tomorrow. Four classes, four whopping tests. He is quite amazing and has stayed remarkably calm despite the pressure and stress he is under. At the same time, he has been able to help lots of other students in their studies both in his classes and as a TA. 

As for Eden- she is still the cutest thing around. Last time we went to the store, I kid you not- she had at least eight workers surrounding her, trying to get her attention, waving, smiling, and talking to her. It is like living with a celebrity! They know us well at the grocery stores now. We are easy to pick out because I'm a white momma with a cute blue-eyed baby and I often make a scene with my paying methods. Once, I had to run 4 credit cards before I found one that worked. Last week, I paid $32 in coins, and the rest was split between US dollars and Caribbean money. They had reason to hate me after that one. 

Anyway- Eden is getting really good at peek-a-boo and pulling herself up. Her new trick is blowing really hard. I don't know how she does it, but Eden can successfully puff her cheeks out and pucker at the same time. Try that! and then blow. It makes for a funny picture and one adorable little girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment