Sunday, March 8, 2020

Fruits of the Spirit and Power from God

Though ever second of childhood and life is precious, there are a few moments that of necessity need to be preserved. 

My mom often speaks of how as a 4 year old, I came home from church distraught because we didn't have enough time to finish the movie about Joseph Smith that we were watching. She tells how at such a young age, the spirit touched me. And how true. I first say that I have always had a testimony of Joseph Smith and the restoration of the gospel. It was no surprise that my patriarchal blessing spoke of how I jumped for joy in the heavens and was aware when Joseph entered the grove. I still jump for joy and now am mindful of my own small children who I am certain feel the spirit at their young age. 

It is of those moments in which I wish to record. During family night a few weeks ago we were talking about the need for Jesus Christ and His role as our savior. Most of our lessons relate back to the Plan of Salvation because that, to me, is THE most important thing you can understand. If you truly understand the Father's plan, everything makes sense: your perspective is perfect, enduring life is possible, and the reason for being here, making choices, the existence of Satan and Christ... just everything!  

So here we were talking about how we all make mistakes and how you can't live with Heavenly Father in heaven if you make mistakes. BUT because Jesus Christ takes away those mistakes we still can return to heaven. You could see the light-bulb in Eden's eyes. It made sense for her too. The spirit, even to a 5-year old, whispers warmth and testifies of truth. You could see the relief and joy in her wet eyes- the same feeling we all have when we think of the gratitude for our Savior. 

This is not a singular experience. The gospel, at its best, is simple and pure- easy for a child to understand. I have loved Eden's bed time conversations which consist of quizzing me about heaven and where Heavenly Father's power comes from. I also love her statements and motivation to me. "Mom, I want to read my scriptures so I can go to heaven."

Last week our family watched the hour long Joseph Smith movie. Eden's tender heart couldn't handle the persecution. "Why are those men so mean!?" I have had the same thoughts while reading Saints 1 and 2.  The early saints endured extreme persecution- hatred and violence that I never hope to witness or experience. I wonder if I would have had the same courage and devotion as they... I don't know. But after all they went through and after reading the follies of men- both in and out of the church- it is undeniable that this is God's work. If it weren't, this church could not have withstood what it went through. 

_______________________________________________________________

On another note, I have finally taken the admonition of the prophet to read Doctrine and Covenants 25 and 84. In conjunction, I had been reading Saints and The Priesthood Power of Women, by Barbara Morgan Gardner. Though none of the words were new or the teachings revolutionary, I have begun to see the priesthood in a new light. My definition of what the priesthood is has changed. Still the power of God, yes, but accessed in different ways. 

(Honestly, I had to read and listen to D&C 25 twice before my mind was humble and open enough to receive new insight. That insight has already changed my life, thoughts, and behaviors- and should change them more as I continue to reflect and implement the principles in my life.) 

For this to all make sense, keep in mind that endowed women have immense access to priesthood power when they live righteously and use that power within their home and to bless their family. What is God's power? It is revelation. It is inspiration, guidance, knowledge, and any power that helps the creation and eternal salvation of men. It is sharing in God's work and glory. It is consecrating the welfare of our mortal lives (and others) to the good of our eternal lives- in the words of Nephi. 

As I read Section 25, I heard a Father wanting to bless his daughter and make her heir in his kingdom. It comes through righteousness and is given through calling. We receive keys for the temporary callings we get, but our first and permanent calling is to be a mother and wife. This is where my mind was opened. Verse 5 .

Verse 5 is where Emma is being told how to access her priesthood power. (In my own words:) Comfort thy husband in his afflictions with consoling words and with meekness... Lay aside the things of this world and seek for the things of a better (v. 10)... (v. 14) Delight in thy husband and the glory which should come upon him. Keep my commandments continually. 

I can only attempt to explain the thoughts in  my head and feelings in my heart. Here it goes.

Priesthood power is helping to bring to pass the eternal life of man- like I said before, it is power to help the eternal welfare of a soul. Eternity is only complete with families and is only possible through righteousness. So... our power comes through strengthening our family bonds, supporting our husbands who will also encourage us and provide a way for us to move the kingdom forward (all this time Emma was writing hymns, acting as Joseph's scribe, and caring for other saints on top of holding down the house as a mother). Keeping an eternal perspective in everything we do gives us power. The temple is power. Family is power. Covenant keeping is power. It's no wonder we consecrate our lives and live chastely. 

It is just beautiful. 

And unless you have your own spirit of revelation, reading this won't even matter. I'm grateful for a prophet, President Nelson, who encouraged us to read these sections. And I'm grateful I read them again. Knowing there was a reason and something I needed to learn from these sections gave me motivation to read them that second and third time. 

Time is growing short. Just as President Nelson says, I feel it too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment